Thursday 29 March 2012

How To... Make Your Own Vintage Map Bunting...

Vintage Map Bunting - handmade by daffodils & snowdrops

You Will Need...
An old map or atlas
Scissors
Bunting triangle template
Bias binding
Thread
Sewing machine (could be done by hand if you are patient :)

Bunting made from re-cycling old maps and atlases, make cute and quirky decorations for your home... 
So why not have a go at making some of your own...

To begin... take your bunting template (this can be easily made by cutting a triangle from some card) and place it on your map tracing the outline... 

Once you have your desired number of bunting flags, cut out each one...

Then... iron your bias binding tape in half and position your bunting flags, evenly spaced, between the tape... 
(bunting flags can be doubled up and sewn together to give a thicker flag if you wish)

To finish... sew down the length of your bias binding tape trapping in each flag as you go along...

 ...and there you have your own, ready to hang, vintage map bunting...

I would love to hear your thoughts and comments on my tutorial, so please leave a comment below :)

4 comments:

  1. I saw these at teh Country Living fair they are fab. On telling my husband he took on a worried look and locked up his vintage map collection - I shall have to get some of my own!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, yes you better get your own :) You could check out some charity or secondhand book shops!..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really lovely tutorial Em, thanks. Im going to keep my eyes peeled for maps and altas! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, surprisingly I never knew this.I have been reading your blog a lot over the past few days and it has earned a place in my bookmarks.Thanks for sharing with us.

    ReplyDelete

I really enjoy hearing your thoughts so why not leave a comment... I love reading them...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...